5 Top Tips for Surviving University from a Student Blogger
If you’re looking at changing the way you look at life, the best thing to do is head off into the big wide world and head to university. I’m Kat and I write over at www.gingersnapblog.co.uk (drop over and have a read….) where I blog about surviving university one week at a time. I try to cover tips and tricks to make life a little bit easier as well as sharing the really stupid things that we more often than not get up to…..
There’s so many things I’ve learnt in the last few years at university, things I now couldn’t live without knowing alongside things I wish I’d known when I started. I’ve decided to share my top 5 tips for surviving university – who knows they may make your life that little bit easier…
1. Budget, budget, budget! I know, I sound like my parents but it’s something that I really I wish I had in my first year… I definitely do now – most of the time – because there’s nothing I hate more than having to penny pinch in the final few weeks of the term.
2. Attempt to make as many friends as you can… In lecture, in your flat, or even in societies. But accept that not everyone you meet will land up being particularly close to you. People have a very different way about them when alcohol is involved….
3. Remember that academics aren’t everything, make sure you get the chance to go out and experience everything you can (this ONLY applicable in the first year, I’m not condoning not doing work, make sure you pass) There’s nights out, parties, society meetings, trips and so much more!
4. Take a million and one photos. Trust me, you’ll look back at some of the photos and wonder where and what the photos are of. But at least this gives you the chance to look back on all of the silly things you’ll do. You’ll want it.
5. Understand that you will see things differently to other people, and that this will cause arguments no matter how laid back you are. You may well see the mess in the kitchen and think it’s not bad, another flatmates will think its horrific. You may well think it’s fine to leave dirty underwear on the bathroom floor, another flatmates will think this is the worse thing you could possibly do in life! Just stay calm and try and come up to a solution that works for everyone!
University is the maddest, funniest, most expensive, time to learn in your life. You will look back and wonder where the time went. Appreciate every moment, it will be the little things that get you through surviving university.
Kat is a Finance and Business Student at Portsmouth University